One day to admire, five days to paint
My front and back gardens have several varieties of daylilies. Some came with the house and others were planted years ago. I recently added in a few heirloom varieties that were on sale and they’ve taken up residence beside the traditional asiatic and oriental lilies that are also in glorious bloom. This one, not an heirloom, hasn’t bloomed well in past years but now gets more sunlight thanks to a large maple being removed. It seems very happy. Since these daylilies can’t survive being cut in a vase, and the other lilies need to stay outside with their too-strong perfume, I spent this week painting them instead.
Chicken or egg? I painted the beautifully-dappled background first and spent days getting the light and textures finessed. When I proceeded to work on the lilies, I worried about keeping them bright and light-filled too. It was neat figuring out how the cast shadows worked and made sense once I studied them. In the process, I made friends with a size 0 brush and used that for both detailing and washes. I also rediscovered cadmium red—previously it had been banished from my palette, but provided just the right red for these lilies.
In my second floor studio, the fragrance from the bright pink Stargazer lilies is coming in the window. Although it is headache inducing, it’s really not such a terrible problem to have.
Watercolor and graphite
Arches cold press, 300 lb, 10.25″ x 14.12″.
This painting has gone to a new home.